When you think of Napa Valley, what comes to mind? Images of picturesque rolling hills with miles of vineyards, world class restaurants with food and wine to die for, pampering at exquisite spas, luxurious resorts and quaint bed and breakfasts, right? Well, I bet your first thought isn’t that you would find eco-friendly lodging there, or if you did that you would actually want to stay there with all of the tempting alternatives. Think again…
In May of 2007 Jim Gunther and Jamie Cherry of San Francisco, CA, took the reins as the new innkeepers of The Inn on First, a contemporary bed and breakfast located in the heart of Napa. Jim and Jamie brought a fresh look and fervor to excel in service to their guests. What distinguishes their deluxe bed and breakfast from any other in Napa Valley is not only the touch of San Francisco style they have added to the decor, and their focus on hospitality as a personalized gift to their guests, but their commitment to contribute to an improved way of living and environmental consciousness.
I did an article on the Inn on First in 2011 and it was just as amazing this time as I remembered it to be. Owners Jim Gunther and Jamie Cherry have truly outdone themselves with this bed and breakfast. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place. Jim makes all of the breakfasts from scratch with deliciously unique food and has over 130 selections in his repertoire. In fact – he even keeps track of what you had when you stayed there, so that you never have the same breakfast twice!
From the moment you step through the doors of The Inn on First, you are greeted with a feeling of coming home. Jim and Jamie help orchestrate your memorable stay in the wine country, and it’s their combined talents that shape your experience. Situated on a quiet street in downtown Napa, this American craftsman style B&B offers luxury, pampering, and peaceful surroundings, plus you can feel good that you’re staying at a property that is environmentally conscious.
We stayed in the Noble Vineyard suite with gold and red toned décor, which has a luxuriously comfortable king bed, private entrance, gas fireplace, large seating area, whirlpool tub, twin sinks and spacious rainfall shower. The best part…there is NO TV! You have your own private balcony that is hidden under the branches of a large oak tree with a small cafe table and 2 chairs. Other cool things for your use while staying at the Inn…stainless steel water bottles and a picnic basket equipped with everything you need.
In 2014 they were one of thirteen businesses in the State of California to receive a Climate Leader Award from CoolCalifornia.org that is funded by the California Environmental Protection Agency. This award recognizes California small businesses that demonstrate exceptional climate change management practices and communication. Other green practices they’ve implemented include:
- Low-flow water sources and tank-less water heater
- Kitchen waste composting, Garden composting
- Re-usable glassware instead of paper or plastic as well as stainless steel water bottles replacing plastic water bottles
- In-room recycle bins
- In-room climate control. Each room has a personal air-conditioning/cooling unit, heat source, and ceiling fans with occupancy sensors which allow for energy savings in unoccupied rooms
- Luxury Toiletries from Gilchrist & Soames. The BeeKind® Collection features formulations, which contain no parabens, phthalates, petrol-derived ingredients, mineral oil, urea, DEA, TEA or propylene glycol, and use recyclable packaging and are free of any artificial colors or dyes
- Household natural cleaning products that protect both the environment and the housekeepers who use them
- Sheet and Towel Service that is certified green
- House-made snacks which reduces unnecessary packaging/shipping; therefore cuts back on the pollution that is derived from automobile based distribution & paper waste
- Food storage bags that are composed of clear 100% Home-Compostable cellulose product made from wood fiber that causes nearly zero environmental impact
- Natural cleaning & gardening products are used to keep rooms and grounds in pristine condition
Interestingly enough, we met a couple at breakfast that was spending their honeymoon at the Inn on First – I couldn’t imagine a more perfect place! Visit www.theinnonfirst.com.